Cable Guy

>> Thursday, September 11, 2014


If the cable goes out, it is NOT a maintenance emergency.
I repeat, it is NOT a maintenance emergency. 
The same holds true for Satellite.
Even if it is during Games of Thrones.
And no, you may not barrow my television while yours is on the fritz.  

A problem with your cable requires a call to your cable provider. 
It is not your managers problem. 


Except in this case. 

I had a tenant(let's call her Tenant A) whose cable kept going in and out. 
She called the provider.
They came out, and couldn't' find a problem, so they asked me if they could have access to the attic. 
There is only a handful of apartments who have access.  
I left a notice on the apartment next door (let's call him Tenant Cray-Cray) saying we would need to enter the apartment so we could go into the attic.
And by "we" I mean the cable guy, while I stood there and checked my email on my phone.  

Tenant Cray-Cray called me shortly after receiving the notice, and was PISSED. 
I gave him notice that the cable guy, and myself, would need to enter his apartment to use the attic. 
I was NOT asking for a kidney, or his first born child. 
Even though, that is exactly how he was acting. 
He even threatened to call Fair Housing. 
He felt it was idiotic that not all upstairs units had attic access. 
I agreed, and told him that he was more than welcome to call Marty McFly, travel back to 1972, and explain this to the architect that designed this building. 
The same one that numbered it. 
Then he went on to say that he didn't even have access in his apartment.   

At this point, I knew he didn't want me to go into his apartment for a reason. 
I'm legally obligated to give 24-hour notice. 
I gave 48-hours. 

The day arrived for the cable guy to figure out what was wrong with Tenant A's cable. 
We walked into Tenant Cray-Cray's apartment, and guess what?
The house was clean. 
Smelled wonderful. 
All looked great. 
That is, aside from the large hole in the ceiling with the cable wires dropping down into his television and WIFI router. 


I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, and say that Tenant Cray-Cray not only knew that there was attic access in his apartment, but had been up there a few times himself. 
Since, you know, he was stealing his neighbors cable. 

 
Blog Design by April Showers