in-habitual

>> Friday, November 15, 2013



It's always fun finding a note inside the rent collection envelop instead of a check. And by fun I mean annoying as crap.
And I find crap to be very very annoying, both figuratively and literally. 

Sometime ago, a young couple gave me a note instead of a check. 
They said they could not pay their rent because their apartment was, and I quote

"In-Habitual"


I read the note over several times, realizing the word they were probably looking for was inhabitable. 
Which means suitable for living. 
Then realizing that having a livable apartment was not a logical reason to refrain from paying rent(not that many situations in property management fall into the logical category.) 
I concluded they meant UNINHABITABLE. 

Unless they found their apartment non-commitable or temporary?

Confused, I called. 
Turns out they felt their apartment was not suitable for living, and it was making them all very very very very sick. 
I asked if I could go take a look.
They agreed. 
Turns out they were right. 
The apartment was very very very very bad, and I too felt sick after entering. 


Each window was boarded up, and they had placed a black trash bag over their A/C unit. There were fast food wrappers crumbled and scattered across the floor, and I even stepped on a crusty hamburger patty upon entering, and it crunched under my shoe. Gag. 

In general the apartment smelled like sweaty feet after they had been soaked in cat urine for at least four years(not that I personally have smelled such a thing, that is merely a SAFE assumption). 
The place was dusty and muggy and gross. 

I explained that they might find their apartment to be more livable if they, gee, I don't know, cleaned it.
Their expressions told me they were not computing this cleaning concept. And the best part was that they kept going on and on about how in-habitual it was. 

I corrected them several times, but they kept shooting this look of pity my way, as if they were sorry for my uneducated bran. So much so, that I began questioning if I was the one using the word wrong. 

When I asked why they boarded up all the windows and put a trash bag over their A/C unit, they explained it was because their neighbors smoked, and the smell was causing asthma. 

That seems almost logical, except for the fact they now had mold in their apartment because of the lack of ventilation. 

They came in two days later with a note from a Physician assistant, stating that their apartment was making them sick and the property management company needed to take the correct steps to rectify the situation. Such as replacing all windows, door jams, *scarping the ceiling and kicking out their neighbor. 

You know, things we needed to do in order to turn their apartment from the current in-habitual state to a more un-habitual state. 


Ps-The dude offered his tutoring services to me, and my family, at a 25% discount if we wanted them. 
PPS-I am being serious. 

*what is scarping? 

10 comments:

Anonymous November 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM  

LOL. really? I love Dr's don't you? Like they do house calls now a days? NOT! I need to go to the Dr now to get all the prescribed treatments so that I can abuse and make an excuse to my living standards. HMMMMMM I love this business!

Anonymous November 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM  

I found your blog through insta, and I swear I am dying at your pictures AND your blog. So funny. Thanks for the laughs.

-Ana

Amy Kay November 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM  

You are on Instagram? What is your user name? I'd love to follow!

Erin Huss November 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM  

I don't have an apartment managers instagram, just a personal one. If you want to follow my personal account it is under ERINHUSS

Anonymous November 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM  

your references to smells cracks me up.

Patricia November 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM  

Gotta love this business

Erin Huss November 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM  

Mac Centric? Is this the same as egocentric?
Love me some spammers :)

Unknown November 17, 2013 at 7:02 PM  

Hi,
Champaign apartments.All our apartments are fully furnished and suitable for all people who are searching for the best apartments for their rent.Thank you

Anonymous December 11, 2013 at 5:35 AM  

Contrary to popular thinking that it must be only profits and also expert service fees of which issue for you to property managers, there're a lot more concerned with taking greener pastures on your side by means of identifying the suitable individual as well as thing for you to rent your property. As they are pro pros, they've already the actual devices and also equipment which have been essential to screen future renters. Because of this, which will become occupying your possessions are generally well-screened and also liable men and women as well as functions which will look after your property since his or her. Www.Property-Records-Online.Com

Anonymous October 17, 2014 at 2:57 PM  

Yesterday a tenant said he would only renew his lease if we restored his apartment to "New Tenant" conditions, which meant replacing his very dirty carpet and exterminating the cockroaches in his greesy stove among other things on his list. Needless to say, the owner said bye.

 
Blog Design by April Showers