My Theory

>> Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The number one question people always ask me is

"Are these stories for real?"
To which I always give an exaggerated dramatic gasp and place my hand over my heart.
Of course they are!
If you are an apartment manager or have been one I believe you know how real these stories are.
If you have never been a AM, then I can see why you have a hard time believing how people can act.

I do have a theory as to why us apartment managers seem to deal with so many crazies.
I believe it comes down to one word
ENTITLEMENT
...shutter...
I really hate that word
Along with the words hurl, chuck and soggy
Just for your information.

Anyways.

From my experience there are many people out there who truly believe that rules don't really apply to them.
Like those drivers who still insist on talking on their cell phone while driving
(which is illegal in CA)
They moan and groan when people around them drive badly but still sit there on their cell phone while zooming down the freeway.
Then curse the high heavens when they get a ticket.
???

The same goes with apartments.
But in my case I am dealing with someone's "safe" place
Their home.
The place they go to at the end of a the day.
No one seems to understand that their home actually belongs to a rich doctor in Newport Beach.
Now he is entitled to it all.
The renter not so much.

I also believe that it does NOT cross a renters mind that this is a business.
The owner of this building didn't purchase it years ago just for kicks and giggles.
(I don't think...I mean the owner did procreate Kevin so who knows)
He bought it to make him some good $$$
Which he certainly has.

So when a tenant comes in and explains they can not seem to come up with their rent money it seems that they honestly believe that I have absolutely NO right to kick them out of THEIR home. When they insist on putting two tons of trash on their patio or leaving their leaking car in the carport I have NO right to tell them to remove it. When they have to move out of their apartment only two months into a one year lease I have NO right to make them pay the penalty.

It's a business people
You do NOT own the apartment you are renting.
My JOB is to collect rent and in force all rules.
Your job is to pay rent and follow the rules.
It really is a simple concept.
But for some reason very hard for most to understand.


5 comments:

Alissa Grosso March 9, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

I find that a whole lot of people have some misguided sense of entitlement. Even though I hate excessive laws and rules, I am a stickler for following them. It annoys me to no end when others can't be bothered. Why am I (the person who always cleans up her dog's crap) the one who is always accidentally stepping in someone else's dog's crap?

Kellie March 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

I don't get it... ;)

Anonymous March 9, 2010 at 4:48 PM  

"If you want to live like a pig, go buy your own pigpen". That is one of my favorite lines. OR "My dumpster is cleaner than your apartment".
OR
"I am evicting you for non payment of your rent, and yes it says that in your lease, and yes I gave you a copy, after I read the lease to you".
I do know your stories are spot-on. "And since your check bounced, all future rent payments WILL be by money order--no more checks from you".
"Your visitor is parked in a disabled parking space, will they move it, or shall I have it towed?"
"On your porch is a bag of oil dry, put it under your car, and THEN get the car fixed, or don't park it on MY lot".

Yep, your as real as it gets!

Herb Spencer

Anonymous March 9, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

Yes! Clap Clap Clap! And while we are talkin' about this darling residents, let's cover two other things. Rent is not a customer service issue. You have to pay it. If you don't pay it, management has the right to collect it. It's called a contract. Grow up!

Also--those of you who fall into the "entitled" category often think the whole world revolves around you. It is not enough for management to fix your problem or try to make things right. Many of you people often won't stop bitching until someone fires management or let's you out of your lease. Just sayin'. Yep--12 years in the apartment business taught me a few things. :)

Adoption of Jane March 12, 2010 at 5:18 AM  

I never quite understood why people feel they can pay their rent whenever! A lot of my friends say they will pay in a week blah blah blah.. WTH?! Rent is the first thing on my bills! My bills go in this order.. Apt/Rent, Electricity, Cable, then Food... sorry Cable is a must and if i didn't need Electricity to watch it.. Cable would be right after Rent. Food is always stocked pretty well and really isn't as important as cable LOL!

 
Blog Design by April Showers