Those Who Cry Wolf, and Those Who Cry.....Lamb?

>> Tuesday, December 10, 2013

There are two types of residents.

Those that tell you their apartment is flooded and it is an EMERGENCY, and you walk in to find a small puddle in the middle of the kitchen. 
And those that tell you they have a small leak, and you walk in to find that their apartment is flooded. 
Both are equally annoying. 

I had a tenant who was a single guy, early twenties, renting a one-bedroom apartment. 
As I was gathering the mail one day, he casually mentions to me that he thinks he might have some mold in his bathroom. 
I asked if I can go take a look sometime that week. 
He said "sure, no rush."

Several days later, I knocked on his door and asked if I could take a look at the mold. 
I walk through the unit, tip-toeing over the weights and beer bottles. 
It wasn't a huge mess, it just looked like a single twenty-something year old dude lived there. 
Nothing to crazy. 

When I reached the bathroom, the resident flipped on the light switch and my jaw nearly hit the floor. 
The entire ceiling was pitch black, and it was starting to descend down the walls. 
I wish, oh how I WISH, I had a picture. 

Turns out his vent was broken. 
Thus all moisture was being sucked into the walls, causing thick, black, stinky mold. 
I have never seen anything like it before. 

I tried to find a picture similar, these are close, except it was the ENTIRE ceiling


It would have been nice, that when the resident noticed the black patches developing on his ceiling, that he would have mentioned it to me then. Back when we could have fixed the vent and cleaned it up. 

NOT, when we had to rip al the drywall out. 

Just a thought. 






 
Blog Design by April Showers