"Accent Wall"

>> Friday, April 23, 2010

I finally rented this apartment only to receive 5 more notices to vacate!
Honestly.
Why do people like to move?
Anyways.
I am doing a massive about move-out inspections which are always so much fun.
(note sarcasm)
Tenants get really defensive when you start asking about giant black spots on carpet, holes in walls or black toilets.
This is when every person no matter what their financial status is has a "lawyer" that is apparently standing by anxiously awaiting to take on the case of the $50 dollar cleaning charge.
They obviously have no idea that this property has a lawyer.
A few actually. 
Crazy lawyers.
Lawyers do not scare me.
All these earthquakes, now those scare me.
Spiders scare me.
The move Signs gave me nightmares for years.
But lawyers.
Nope doesn't scare me.

So I was walking a tenants apartment and the first thing I notice is that they decided to paint an accent wall in their bedroom a dark maroon.

I tell them that they will need to repaint that or I will have to charge them and that the charge will probably be a good penny because it's such a dark color and will require primer and a few coats.

They try to convince me to just leave it as a nice accent wall. You know as a good selling point.
Which honestly I would be more inclined to do if they used some tape when painting it not leaving paint on the ceiling, the bottom portion white and not to mention that the wall gradually get's darker as you go left to right.

I tell them no, I wont leave it.

Then they try to tell me that it's normal wear and tear and I can't charge them.

I explain that badly painting a wall is not considered normal wear and tear.

Then they do it....oh I was hoping that they wouldn't...but they did... they pulled the well "I am going to have to consult with my lawyer on that "card.
I hate when tenants who I genuinely like do that.

So I snap closed my file and tell them to please go ahead and consult with their lawyer as a matter of fact please please have your lawyer call me I would be more than happy to speak with him.

Then I walk out.
(I love having the last word)

Still haven't heard from their "lawyer'

7 comments:

GunDiva April 23, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

Don't you just love people?

Anonymous April 23, 2010 at 6:32 PM  

Oh goody! I had some of those people this week too!

Karen April 24, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

I substitute teach and have had kids (12 year olds, mind you) threaten me with lawyers and to "sue" me. I tell them, "PLEASE do it. I would LOVE to tell a judge how you were behaving!" Shuts them up, every time. :)

Daddy Hawk April 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

It so tickles me when people who don't have the faintest clue threaten people like me (claims adjuster who works with lawyers every day) with getting a lawyer. I have given up trying to explain to them that they will lose far more than they get in return and wait a year or more for the privilege. I figure it's best to let them learn the hard way.

Sarah Hull April 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

You go girl! I love it!

Anonymous April 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

I kind of had that situation this week. About 3 guys (roommates0 moved out about a month ago after I allowed them to breach their lease because they were the noisest, stubborn, hardheaded, argumentative residents I have ever had. So I told them I would let them breach their lease if they would move out. YEAH! So I do the pre inspection tell them to clean and showed them items that would be needed to be replaced. Also told them I would have to paint and clean carpets. THey were filthy. They said they will get it done. So on day of the scheduled move out they don't show up. So no keys no possession. Ughhh, so I wrote them a email. They showed up three days later because they had mid terms. When they did bring the keys i did my final inspection and told them I would need to paint, and that they did an ok job at cleaning but they forgot the stove and refrigerator, and floors. They tried to wash the walls (flat paint), then is showed drips everywhere. LOL I also told them they would be responsible for the extra days rent. They said I was mean! So just last week, I responded to an email from one of them wanting to know where the deposit was at. I wrote them and told them that I sent their SODA but it came back, and that if they would give me their correct address I would resend it. I also told them they would not be receiving their deposit as they burnt a brand new countertop. That's when I received a nasty email. Saying that I never told them I was going to charge them and that they paid everything up frontand that they owe the property nothing and my maintenance man "tourtured" them and "discriminated" against them during their entire stay and that I would have to answer to them.
Yeah the only torture that was going on, was them throwing loud parties and all their neighbors would call and complain to me about how they were being tortured by these guys.
Funny how it's always the staffs fault and that we don't like anyone. So of course I wrote them back in a very professional way reminding them of the entire conversation that was said and in detail. I also reminded them of the cleaning and painting policy that they signed when I moved them in that showed how much and for what we charge.
I love my job!

Pete V May 2, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

What scares me more than lawyers? LAW STUDENTS!!! After 1 semester of law school they think they know EVERYTHING there is to know about leases. I loved debating the legality of my lease with them, seeing as we've had a team of lawyers review, edit, review, edit, review and edit our lease before a single resident signed it!!!

 
Blog Design by April Showers