I don't take to kindly to threats.

>> Monday, February 15, 2010

I have a tenant who moved in about 9 months ago.

She actually used to live here 5 years ago when the previous managers were here.
You should know that the previous manager had been managing this place for over 16 years and was probably the nicest little old lady you have ever met.
I on the other hand am not that nice.

So when this tenant came in and saw a new manager she was a big hesitant.
She wanted a studio.
I had two studios open.
I showed here the first one.
Then the second one.
Then the first one.
Then the second one.

....2 hours later she chose the first one.

She signed a lease and moved in.

On her first month of tenancy she explained that the previous manager let her pay rent a few days late.
I told that would be fine as long as she paid the late fees.
She was not happy about that.

Then she complained that the woman above her walked to loud.
I talked to the woman above her who said she would try to walk quietly.
Then the tenant called to complain that the woman was still walking loudly.
I told her that is what you get when you rent a downstairs apartment and to deal with it or talk to the tenant herself.
She was not happy about that.

Someone then parked in her parking space.
She went a little nutty.
She called me several times.
I told her that I tried contacting the tenant who the car belonged to but they seem to be out of town.
She wanted the car towed.
I told her to go ahead and tow it if she wants.
She was not happy about this.

Mind you we have a giant parking lot with spaces open which are actually closer to her apartment then her own space.

I will not sign to have a car towed that is in the parking space one over from his.
Especially since this car belongs to an old man who was probably just a little confused.
She was not happy about this either.

So she called me
at
11:30pm
and said
"I think you are a horrible manager and I am going to move out!"
I said
"Great, just give me your notice in writing?"
To which she replied
"So you don't even care if I move out?"
to which I replied
"Nope"

....that was about 4 months ago....



5 comments:

GunDiva February 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Good for you! Now that you've got the "new" rules established is she starting to shape up?

Marly C February 15, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only "not so nice" manager around here. It is really hard following an overly nice previous manager.

Margaret February 15, 2010 at 3:24 PM  

Lol well she just wanted a reaction out of you. That is what I would have said to her as well.

Anonymous February 17, 2010 at 7:19 AM  

I continue to be amazed at people, both in reading of stories like this, as well as my own experiences in my complexes. You certainly did the "steps" in trying to solve the problems she presented. Some tenants don't know there is a limit to what we will do on a complaint, whether that complaint is justified or not.
I have found people like the subject tenant often. One of my key "helper phrases" goes like this: "We do realize Mrs Jones, that the Lincoln Terrace Apartments will not serve everyone's needs, and we fully understand if you need to relocate". This usually results in problem solved!

H Spencer
Lincoln Terrace Apts

Anonymous February 24, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

She won't move. People like that never move. Unless of course, you pull the Holy Graile of Property Management and "choose not to renew her lease". :-)

 
Blog Design by April Showers